Filipino Recipes – Arroz Valenciana Recipe – Pinoy FoodBy
Being the staple food of Filipinos, rice is cooked several ways and Arroz Valenciana is just one of the most favored because you don’t have to think of any other dishes to pair it with. It is rice and mixed meats mold into one dish. It is a special rice recipe commonly served during fiestas.
- 1 young chicken (cut into regular pieces)
- ½ kilo pork (cut into regular pieces)
- 2 pcs Chorizo de Bilbao (sliced)
- 6 potatoes (quartered)
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 segments garlic (macerated)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet peas
- ¼ cup olives
- 3 cups rice (boiled in 2 cups coconut milk and 3 cups water)
- 1 tsp salt
- Slices of hard-boiled eggs
- Slices of sweet red pepper
- Salt, pepper and paprika (to taste)
- Season chicken and pork meat with salt and pepper. Fry until color is slightly brown.
- In a deep pan, sauté the garlic, onions and tomatoes. Then add the potatoes, chicken, pork, and chorizos. Mix well then cover the pan and allow to cook until the potatoes and meat are tender. Add water if needed.
- Add the sweet pepper, sweet peas and olives. Take out some of the stock from the pan and set aside when the vegetables and meat are done.
- Add the cooked rice to the meat mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the remaining stock and seasoning to taste. Cook on low heat until the mixture becomes quite dry.
- Garnish top with sliced hard-boiled eggs, stuffed olives and red pepper slices.