Filipino Recipes – Ginataang Suso – Pinoy FoodBy
Ginataang suso, or snails cooked in coconut milk is an exotic food that you will find surprisingly delicious. Just like anything else that is cooked with coconut milk, you will enjoy the rich flavor of this unique recipe. For the adventurous palate, you can try this dish and you will surely agree that the taste is extremely yummy.
- 1 kilo snail (suso)
- 1 medium sized green papaya
- 1 big onion (sliced)
- ½ clove garlic
- 2 tbsp ginger strips
- 1 kilo shredded coconut
- malunggay leaves (moringa)
- hot chilli
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp shrimp paste
- In extracting the coconut milk, place the shredded coconut is a mixing bowl and pour in 2 cups of water. Squeeze the milk from the mixture and use a strainer or a clean cloth to separate the liquid from the shredded coconut.
- Place the coconut milk in a casserole together with the fish sauce, shrimp paste, onion, ginger and garlic. Set heat to medium until the liquid comes to a boil.
- Pour in the snails and bring to a boil once more.
- Add the papaya as well as the malunggay leaves. You can also add a few chopped hot chili if you want to want spicy hot flavor. Do not overcook the papaya.
- You can replace the fresh coconut with coconut milk in can or coconut powder. However, you have to remember that fresh would always give the best results.
- In taking out the snail’s content from the shell, you can use a fork or a toothpick.