Filipino Recipes – Rellenong Manok – Pinoy FoodBy
Rellenong manok or chicken relleno is a fantastic choice of dish to serve on Christmas Eve. It’s inexpensive, impressive and very tasty. It truly is inexpensive if you prepare it yourself at home. It involves very simple ingredients which can be easily found in the market or groceries.
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp, freshly ground
- Bread – 3 pieces, day-old, cut in small pieces, soaked in milk (2tbsp)
- Egg – 1 piece, beaten
- Eggs – 3 pieces, hard-boiled, shelled
- Pickle relish – 2-3 tbsp, sweet
- Chorizo de bilbao – 1 piece, chopped finely
- Onion leaves – ½ cup, chopped finely
- Onion – 1 piece, chopped finely
- Chicken meat – ½ kilo, ground (pork meat can also be used as substitute)
- Whole chicken – 1 piece, large (at least weighing 2 kilos), deboned
- Season whole chicken outside and inside with pepper and salt. Leave it to sit in the refrigerator for some time.
- For the stuffing, simply mix the bread, onion, beaten egg, chorizo de bilbao, ground pork or chicken, pickle relish and onion leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the whole chicken from the refrigerator. Lay flat on a large plate with its breast part up. Fold the skin in the neck and tuck it under. Scoop half of the stuffing to the chicken’s cavity. Arrange the boiled eggs in a row in the cavity’s middle part. Scoop the rest of the stuff in. Pull the tail end’s skin. Expose as little stuffing as you can.
- Pre-heat oven in a 170 degrees C temperature. Carefully place the chicken to the roasting rack. Roast for about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Take your rellenong manok from the oven. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!