Filipino Recipes – Empanada – Pinoy FoodBy
Empanada is a famous delicacy which is commonly sold as a street food in Vigan, Ilocos. Anywhere you go, you can find empanada merienda sold everywhere. Here’s a very easy empanada recipe for you to try for your friends and family to enjoy.
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Food coloring – orange (optional)
- Mochiko rice flour – 1 ½ cup
- Cooking oil – for deep frying
- Egg – 1 piece
- Garlic – 1 clove, finely chopped
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Longganisa sausage – 4 pieces, chopped, casing removed
- Green papaya – 1 piece, unripe, grated
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Lightly knead the dough.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of dough then flatten it using a rolling pin. Repeat the process until all the dough in the bowl is consumed.
- Set the dough aside while you proceed in making your filling.
- Before preparing to make the filling, preheat the deep fryer and add cooking oil.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a separate pan or skillet and sauté the onions and garlic. Add the longganisa sausage. Season with pepper and salt. When sausage is ready, serve it in a bowl. Stir a bit using a spoon for it to cool down. Wait for about 3 minutes. Mix in your grated papaya.
- Take filling of about 2-3 tbsp to the flattened dough. Crack one fresh egg and use it to seal the dough’s sides. Deep fry in the fryer which has been preheated. Repeat the procedure to all the dough.
- Put the cooked empanadas on a plate with paper towels on it to get rid of excess oil. Serve and enjoy with garlic vinegar or sweet chilli as a dip.