Filipino Recipes – Maja Blanca – Pinoy FoodBy
Maja Blanca is a native dessert which is very popular all over the Philippines. It is a creamy mixture prepared from coconut milk and cornstarch made even creamier with the addition of milk. It is usually prepared as dessert for parties and special occasions, although a simpler version can be bought in canteens and restaurants anywhere in the country. If you want to try native delicacies, maja blanca is something that you should taste.
- 2 liters coconut milk
- 200 grams of corn starch
- 370 mL evaporated milk
- 150 mL condensed milk
- 240 grams of white sugar
- 400 grams of corn kernels
- Mix the coconut milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk, white sugar and corn kernels in a pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Prepare the thickener by mixing together 750 mL of coconut milk and the cornstarch.
- Add the thickener once the cooking mixture is already boiling.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps in the mixture when it is thickened.
- Use a holding tray to mold the maja blanca.
- Shake the tray to flatten the mixture or use a knife or spatula to level the maja blanca on the tray.
- Set aside to cook at room temperature.
- Cut into small slices and remove from tray.
- You can add your preferred garnish but it is optional only.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious snack or dessert.
- You can use shredded cheese, ground peanuts or latik for garnish.
- Latik is prepared by browning and curdling coconut cream and brown sugar.